Sunday, October 13, 2013

Zipper Flower

WP_20130906_002 I got a big pile of zippers at an estate sale over the summer. They were $1, I think and they are vintage, with the metal prongs. Not those new fangled zippers made out of plastic, oh no. They are the real deal. WP_20130906_003 There was a receipt with the zippers that is from February 27, 1966. Awesome. I couldn’t make out the handwritten note, but those zippers are at least 50 years old! Now, I don’t actually know how to sew a zipper onto anything useful, like clothes or a bag. I know, I know, it surprises me too. It can’t be that hard, right? One of these days…..maybe. My lack of zipperdy skills didn’t stop me from grabbing the whole bag of them. Oh no. There are fun things that can be done with zippers: mostly zipper flowers. WP_20130910_004 I sent a few to my mom. I put a brooch pin and a hair clip on the backs of them so they can be attached to a purse, hair, sweater, corkboard. WP_20130910_003 Some of them have rolled up zippers for the center of the flower, but I also dug through my button bucket and my costume jewelry box for some funky pieces. WP_20130828_002 These two zippers decorated my friend’s birthday card. I actually pinned them to the paper envelope and very carefully handed it over before they ripped off. I think they are fun project from a really random estate sale find. Love, Amy Jo at The Little Moments

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are adorable! :) Thanks for sharing! I have a bunch of old zippers I've been looking for ideas on how to use. :)
~Jen

Refashion said...

The zipper flowers look great, what an amazing find! Putting in a zip is really not as hard as you think! Definitely try it :)

Debbie EOD

Anonymous said...

I love the zipper flower! I would have never thought to reuse a zipper into a flower. Great idea. Thanks for the inspiration. And I'm with you ... I'm not an expert installing zippers and will sort of work around it if I can. :)