So a while ago i posted about some little gifts and things i'd made before Christmas last year (seems like forever ago now!) including a jewellery case lined with fabric from this shirt:
I used the sleeves from the shirt to make the jewellery case, but i had bigger plans for the main part. The shirt itself was a size or two too big as it originally was, but I was able to make use of the darts in the front (having unpicked the pocket) to make my final top more fitted. I used an existing top as a base for the pattern, though i left the length of the shirt as i found the black top a bit too short for some occasions.
the end result:
I shirred the back to make if fit while still being stretchy and comfortable (and without having to do a lot of tailoring - essentially i'm lazy!) - i actually cut out the back panel, shirred it separately, and the attached it. I made the straps from long tubes cut from the back of the shirt (either side of the back panel). I did have to add an invisible press stud (snap fastening) hand-sewn inside the button placket between the top two buttons as the elasticated back made it gape otherwise, but with the press stud it's no longer a problem. One of my favourite bits is the ribbon detail across the top front, which i had to add to hide a small rip where i'd not been careful enough as i removed the pocket! But i managed to find some short pieces of ribbon which needed used up and just happened to almost exactly match the colours in the top. Worked out well in the end!