Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Old T-Shirts into a Halloween Costume

Oh how I love Halloween, what a great time of the year. I may be a full grown adult but I won't let that stop me from getting fully involved in the festivities. It seemed only fitting that I created a costume out of old t-shirts (old t-shirts... is there anything they can't be turned to?!). 

My boyfriend sacrificed this Thin Lizzy t-shirt because it was covered in bleach stains, so it would have been thrown out otherwise. I actually turned it inside out as I didn't want the logo to show, and the green t-shirt was just one that I don't wear anymore.

I took a panel out of the green dress to create the slashed effect at the front, and I used the sleeves from the black t-shirt to make little sleeves. I then cut out long thin strips of green to tie around the sleeves and create bows.

I think the dress I've made looks suitable for a Witch costume (just add a witches hat and a broom!) but it's quite a versatile tutorial, you could apply this technique to different coloured t-shirts to create a variety of different costumes. For example, a red and black t-shirt combo could be a 'fallen angel' or devil dress depending on what accessories you add. 

The full tutorial is available on my blog.

Happy Halloween refashioning!


Huli said...

i like it!

Carissa said...

Great for Halloween, but I think you could wear that anytime if you want! Very cute!