Thursday, June 11, 2015

Say, is that chambray?

Hi There,

It's so lovely to see so many new faces here! I've not posted anything for a while, but it's always fabulous keeping in touch with what's happening - so much creativity!

So... I found an extra-large (what I thought was denim, but is actually called) chambray dress in a charity shop, and took my time working out what to do with it - I was looking to make something I'd get a LOT of wear out of...

I did consider taking it down a few sizes, so it would still be a shirt dress, but then thought I'd try something a bit different, design-wise. If you want to read more about the new neckline, collar, facings, going from button to zip closure, general styling, and sewing processes, pop by my blog - be lovely to see you there :)


Gema x

Before and After!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing! Love the new bodice with the repositioned collar!

Gema said...

Thank-you so much, I'm really pleased you like it!

jennifer elliott said...

Love the refashion. What is the difference between denim and chambray? I've heard the word before, but I never really paid much attention. Anyway, fabulous job on the refashion and nice job scoring the dress for a good price!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Gema said...

Thanks Jennifer! :) I added a link in my full blogpost, to a more detailed explanation of the difference - buy basically it's to do with the weft of the fabric. Denim is stronger, and more hardy - whereas chambray is soft, and much lighter in drape... That's me shortening a long explanation! :)

whatthesew said...

Great job Gemma. Denim (or chambray) looks good in any guise. I first started refashioning because I couldn't bear to throw out naturally aged jeans.
Thanks for all the detail.

Gema said...

Thank-you! :)

TheRefashStash said...

Awesome refashion! Totally love the new dress!

Gema said...

Thank-you so much Marisa :D