NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Say, is that chambray?

Hi There,

It's so lovely to see so many new faces here! I've not posted anything for a while, but it's always fabulous keeping in touch with what's happening - so much creativity!

So... I found an extra-large (what I thought was denim, but is actually called) chambray dress in a charity shop, and took my time working out what to do with it - I was looking to make something I'd get a LOT of wear out of...

I did consider taking it down a few sizes, so it would still be a shirt dress, but then thought I'd try something a bit different, design-wise. If you want to read more about the new neckline, collar, facings, going from button to zip closure, general styling, and sewing processes, pop by my blog - be lovely to see you there :)


Gema x

Before and After!


8 comments:

Accidental Seamstress said...

Amazing! Love the new bodice with the repositioned collar!

Gema Ensenat said...

Thank-you so much, I'm really pleased you like it!

jennifer elliott said...

Love the refashion. What is the difference between denim and chambray? I've heard the word before, but I never really paid much attention. Anyway, fabulous job on the refashion and nice job scoring the dress for a good price!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD

Gema Ensenat said...

Thanks Jennifer! :) I added a link in my full blogpost, to a more detailed explanation of the difference - buy basically it's to do with the weft of the fabric. Denim is stronger, and more hardy - whereas chambray is soft, and much lighter in drape... That's me shortening a long explanation! :)

whatthesew said...

Great job Gemma. Denim (or chambray) looks good in any guise. I first started refashioning because I couldn't bear to throw out naturally aged jeans.
Thanks for all the detail.

Gema Ensenat said...

Thank-you! :)

Marisa Glied said...

Awesome refashion! Totally love the new dress!

Gema Ensenat said...

Thank-you so much Marisa :D