Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Floral transplantation


This ruffly, gathered-just-below-the-waist tank top wasn't doing my figure any favors, but I really loved the pattern, so I uprooted and replaced some of the elastic to make it a better fit for me.

Step 1: Turn inside out and pick out the elastic band that runs around the inside near the bottom.
Step 2: Reattach that elastic to the back of the shirt, near the top.

There were some intermediary steps, mainly a lot of trial and error to determine how much fully-stretched elastic I would have to add to remove 5 inches of fabric when unstretched (apparently it's 6-and-a-quarter for this particular piece of elastic), but you get the gist of it.

By following this fairly simple method, I got a nice comfy tank top that's fitted at the top and flared at the bottom.

But wait, there's more! Head over to my blog to see how I styled it, and, not to be missed, my ... dramatic pose!


Bailey Mills said...

I don't know any people that the original shirt would look flattering on. It looks much better now!

Kathy W. said...

SO smart!!!! Good job!

jennifer elliott said...

Yes, smart move with relocating the elastic. I like the shirt so much better now. Great job!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD