Thursday, July 30, 2015

Floral transplantation

Before
After

This ruffly, gathered-just-below-the-waist tank top wasn't doing my figure any favors, but I really loved the pattern, so I uprooted and replaced some of the elastic to make it a better fit for me.

Step 1: Turn inside out and pick out the elastic band that runs around the inside near the bottom.
Step 2: Reattach that elastic to the back of the shirt, near the top.

There were some intermediary steps, mainly a lot of trial and error to determine how much fully-stretched elastic I would have to add to remove 5 inches of fabric when unstretched (apparently it's 6-and-a-quarter for this particular piece of elastic), but you get the gist of it.

By following this fairly simple method, I got a nice comfy tank top that's fitted at the top and flared at the bottom.

But wait, there's more! Head over to my blog to see how I styled it, and, not to be missed, my ... dramatic pose!

3 comments:

GeekyArtsyMommy said...

I don't know any people that the original shirt would look flattering on. It looks much better now!

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

SO smart!!!! Good job!

jennifer elliott said...

Yes, smart move with relocating the elastic. I like the shirt so much better now. Great job!

Jennifer Elliott, EOD