Saturday, August 15, 2015

Refashion Runway Challenge 4: Maxi Dress

I managed to make it through another round of #RefashionRunway3... and I'm not sure how because all the ladies are insanely talented. They're totally inspiring me and, bonus, we're becoming friends! :) It truly is a "friendly competition."

That being said, I'll show you what I made for the Maxi Dress challenge for week 4:


I chose this (already pretty fabulous) Maxi Dress because I loved the metallic gold netting overlay. To update it just a little bit, I chopped it in half slightly above the waist. 
I finished the raw edge of the black lining fabric and made a casing for elastic; Next, I made a kimono with the gold netting fabric. Lastly, I removed the gold netting from the top half of the original dress, removed the collar, and polished up all the raw edges.




Now, I have 3 pieces instead of 1: A black Maxi skirt, a daring (for me!) crop top, and a gorgeous gold shrug/kimono.

I love that this was only a .99 cent investment and that I can wear all three together, or separately. Talk about versatility!


To see my full tutorial visit my site.

To see the other wicked awesome Maxi Dress refashions from my blog buddies in #RefashionRunway3, click here :)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been so fun watching what everyone has been making this season! Great job on your new projects! I always like it when I can make multiple pieces out of one old dress!


- Elizabeth, EOD
aka The Hungry Octopus

Gema said...

Love how you managed to get so much out of that dress!! I think, if I had to choose, the kimono is my favourite... But it's all good! :)

jenny_o said...

Versatile and timeless - and I love that kimono. It looks so nice on you!

Unknown said...

Thank you girls! It wasn't part of the challenge, per se, but the kimono was actually my favorite part too :)