Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Little alterations - big impact x 2

A dress (no, it is not an apron), that I didn't like.

I turned it back to front and rounded the neckline to make it comfortable as the new front neckline.

And now the dress IS an apron. I like that it covers up a lot. I am very messy, when I cook.

 I found this lovely leather weekender bag at a flee market for 130 Dkr (19$, 17€, 13£). It was cheap because the zipper was broken. Changing a zipper is not the easiest task, but I thought it would be worth it.

When I came home, I managed to get the zipper-closing-thing (English?) back on, and the zipper closed easily. I realised that it was just the stitches at one end, that had come undone.

I sewed across the zipper and placed a matching leather patch to both mend the tear and cover up the repair of the zipper.

I don't think it is that visible, that it is a repair.

I wonder what the original price of the bag was. And contemplate that refashion/altering/mending skills are worth much.


RanchHouse said...

I think our skills are worth the price of the garment itself. The cost of a new ready to wear apron is the value of your skills for the apron. The bag would be very high. You did a very good job on it.
Often when I have a simple fix and save a garment and save the replacement cost I wonder how non-sewers afford the cost.

jenny_o said...

I absolutely LOVE when a repair turns out not to be as big as I originally thought! What a great bag and a great save.

(And the zipper-closer-thing is just called a "zipper pull" in Canada :))

Saga said...

Ranchhouse: Thank you. I have had the same thought. Mending should still be taught in schools.

jenny_o: I agree! Or when it turns out to be a lot easier than I thought.
Thank you for 'zipper pull'. I couldn't remember its name in my own language, Danish, which meant I couldn't translate it ;-).

jennifer elliott said...

I love the improved apron! I love the stripes.

Jennifer Elliott EOD