Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Floral top for fall

I found this great floral dress at a thrift store, but it was too short to be worn as a dress. I decided to chop off some length to make it a top, and I got a bonus scarf out of the extra material. I also turned the top around to create a different neckline than the original.

I was afraid this fabric would fray like crazy, so I folded up the extra length and stitched a seam near the fold before cutting anything, as seen on the left side of this picture.

I cut close to the seam, keeping as even an edge as possible to make the scarf easier to sew later.

I turned the hemmed edge under again then stitched close to the previous fold. 

When I was done, the v-neck was in the back, showing just a bit of skin. 

For the scarf, I just folded over the raw edge two times and sewed it down. There wasn't much fraying after all, so it was very quick, and I love how it turned out. 

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

cfortin said...

Love the two for one projects.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab