NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Old Tank, New Dress

My friends daughter recently gave me a bunch of old clothes to dig through before they went off to goodwill.  I found some good scores in the pile.

For example, this little, bleach stained tank top may have otherwise been trash, even at the goodwill.


I forgot to take a picture before I cut it, but you get the idea.  You can see some of the bleach stains on the bottom right corner.  There were more on the back.

I have made this type of maxi dress a few times before.  It is a definite go to pattern when I have an old tank top in need of a new life.  You can see some other examples of how I have done this in the past here,  

I found the original tutorial here.

It's very simple.  I like to use a little less fabric than she does in her tutorial.  A few inches more than my hip width, so there isn't so much gathering and then not as much need for the belt.  For a short maxi, she recommends folding the fabric to make a bubble type skirt, but I do not do that.  I just use one piece of fabric and hem the bottom as she does for the long maxi.  The less bulk around the middle, the better.

I used a really nice piece of vintage floral fabric.  It was just the right size.  
Here is how it came out.  


I made a little matching belt for it, too, but I like it better without it.


Using less fabric for the circumference created a much nicer gather.  I think I will be making them this way for now on.  It still goes on easy.  There is just enough stretch to pull it on and off without any issues.  

I highly recommend using this method to breath new life into old tank tops.  
I always get lots of compliments on these dresses everywhere I go.


2 comments:

RanchHouse said...

The smaller amount of fabric is great on you.
The colors are really good together.
Great save on the bleach stain.
<ary @ RanchHouse EOD

Gema Ensenat said...

Lovely dress, great colour on you! 😀