NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Men's Shirt to Tunic Dress

Flannel tunic dresses seemed to be everywhere this fall, and well I guess with the lack of snow and high temps mother nature has forgotten to wake up old man winter. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining. For this refashion I found a XXL men's flannel for $1. To be honest I am notorious for buying menswear to refashion then deciding I think it the way it is, and I might have kept this as it was besides the sleeves were a mile too long for me. Even when they were rolled there was so much fabric it was hard to wear comfortably under a jacket.

I was somewhat weary because I have never reattached sleeves before. Most of the time I am making them bigger, smaller, or taking them off all together. I started by removing the sleeves then clipping the fabric where I would need to sew up the arm hole. I also shortened the shoulders for a better fit. The most difficult part was figuring out how to reattach the sleeves correctly. I thought I was going to need to take some of the width off of the sleeves as well, but because I shortened them a good six inches their width was no longer an issue. 
I am pretty happy with how it turned out! Perhaps I could have made the sleeves a tad longer, but that's me being overly picky they are the perfect length to my outstretched arm (and surprisingly even).

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

I have the same problem! Looking in the men's department for something to refashion. For some reason, men have a better selection of clothes at better prices. I love the awesome buy for just $1, and the shirt looks much better with the minor fixes. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

RePurposeFul said...

Wow, I am very impressed! I haven't had the courage to shorten and reattach sleeves yet! Great job!