Friday, January 01, 2016

Sweater to Cape

This sweater was a little bulky to get much everyday use from. 

It also needed a little more color (I thought so at the time, although now this picture doesn't look too bad) and the neck was too high.  I got the idea to do the same thing as the pants-to-skirt refashion.  So I took off the mock-neck, and ripped out the side seams. Then I crocheted a new navy blue neck edge, then added some more blue to the design, which was a lot easier to do since the sides and sleeves were ripped open. Then I sewed the seams together in the back and in the front, leaving an opening for my arms to come through.

I think my vision was a little bit better than the reality. Maybe adding some blue crochet trim to the bottom edge would make it look more capelike.  Or maybe a different sweater.  We'll have to see on this one.

10 comments:

Vintagethrifter51 said...

Love the results. I have a few big baggy sweaters that would make great capes. Thank you so much for the inspiration. Cheers, Michele

Alyssa said...

love this! Great idea, and your cape turned out really well! I might have to try this!

Unknown said...

Very creative, love it!

Unknown said...

Actually I'm Richard's wife lol!

Unknown said...

I really love it! It's a super cute little cape. Well done!

Andrea said...

What a great idea! I've been wanting to make a cape but worried I wouldn't get enough from a sweater unless it was huge...now you've got me thinking!

Andrea EOD

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

I LOVE this - I'm going to copy this TODAY!!

Saga said...

Great! I need to copy this. Right now!

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

I saw this and went and made one for myself. SO EASY! I love how warm it is. I'll have to do a blog about it. I'll be sure to post that you were my inspiration!

vintagevogue said...

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!