NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, January 29, 2016

Too narrow dress gets added hip width

I am sorry for the quality of the pictures. No sunlight and only a mobile phone camera is not the best premisses for good photos.
I fell completely in love with this dress, that I found in my favourite charity shop. It was a size medium and fit me well in the upper body, but was to narrow around my hips/bum. I bought it anyway. I have methods for that sort of thing...

- I ripped the side seams of the dress up to about where my hip bone would be.
- I found a remnant of black chiffon, and pinned it to my foam floor tiles (that I use for workout), so it couldn't run away from me, that pesky thing.
- I measured from my hipbone to the hem of the dress. I added 2 cm (hem) and 1 more cm (upper seam).
- Then I used a pin and my measuring tape as a pair of compasses, using the number from above in order to draw half a circle. I cut it into two fourths.

Chiffon is a notorious pain in the behind to hem, but back when I made my poofy frilly skirt, I found a clever way of tackling it hemming chiffon. You can also see it in the blog post for this refashion: Hemming chiffon

Once I had seamed the gussets, I stitched them to the ripped open side seams.

I wear a black satin slip underneath in case you were wondering.


I had a narrow satin belt that fit just nicely to dress. Now I am ready for a party to come my way. :-D


11 comments:

Sandy said...

Good save! love the dress on you.
Sandy in the UK

Catherine Harnisch said...

I love the refashion. It is so much better than the original. I like the flare a the bottom!

kitblu said...

I loved the original dress and almost didn't look at the refashion.
I would have never suspected that you had altered the original had I not seen it myself. It still looks like an original!
Well done. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Andrea said...

Really great save! Love this refashion :)

Andrea EOD

jenny_o said...

What a pretty fix!

shesewsyouknow said...

Very clever refashion

Catherine1216 said...

The original was pretty, but your refashion made it beautiful. I love the after.

Alyssa Wesselmann said...

So cute, i like your refashion way more than the origenal!

Alyssa Wesselmann said...

So cute, i like your refashion way more than the origenal!

Marisa Glied said...

That is so beautiful!!! It looks better than the original, like it was meant to be that way!

-TheRefashStash

barnsnoblsaddict said...

Amazing! I never would have thought of that