Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, February 01, 2016

Wool and Leather

I have a big brown bag I refashioned from a leather jacket last year, but I've been wanting a black bag since brown doesn't necessarily go with everything. So I pulled out this black and white houndstooth, 100% wool, men's suit jacket which I got for free a couple years ago.

Houndstooth Messenger Bag - Before

I sketched out my own pattern and cut the pieces from the jacket, salvaging the original pockets for the front of my bag. I also cut pieces for the lining from some fabric I had in my stash, and I added fusible interfacing to everything for extra stability and structure. When I assembled the wool pieces, I also inserted into the seams some strips of black leather from a previous refashion as a sort of piping accent for my new bag. An old black leather belt became a new strap.

Houndstooth Messenger Bag - After

Houndstooth Messenger Bag - AfterHoundstooth Messenger Bag - After

For the whole lengthy process, feel free to visit me over at CarissaKnits!

Houndstooth Messenger Bag - After


jennifer elliott said...

That is gorgeous!

Gema Ensenat said...

Beautiful bag!! Great job :)

Chickie Walsh said...

Wow! Amazing.

Refashion said...

Wow - fabulous bag. I love it

Debbie EOD

alyrocco said...

This is awesome!!! Great job! .. and great tutorial. Thank you for sharing. : )

Marisa Glied said...

This is totally amazing!!!!! I have a few jackets I acquired for free, I am totally making one of these!