Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Red sweatshirt refashion

Once again, I started out with a sweatshirt that was too big on me and set about to give it some shape.

I started by removing the front pockets and the zipper through a lot of careful, tedious seam-ripping.

I stitched the zipper edge back together once the zipper was removed. Then I set about taking in the sides a bit. I basted it where I thought it needed to be stitched then used my serger to finish the seam. Alas, these pictures only show the first round of taking in the sides - a second round was also needed.

Once it was finally slim enough, I added some large buttonholes to the left front flap and folded under the right front flap at an angle before adding my big red buttons. 

And here it is - warm and cozy. 

With this up and down weather, I'm sure to get some good use out of it before it gets too hot. Yay!

Thanks for reading!  -Amy


RePurposeFul said...

This is inspiring! Great idea, and great work - I particularly admire your commitment and patience for that seam ripping!

Heidi said...

I like that! Gives it some panache and some style!

cfortin said...

The buttons make such a difference. Nice refashion.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

Maria said...

Much dressier & less shlumpy. Nice!

vintagevogue said...

I like it - still just as comfortable but looks more stylish. I'm a big fan of stylish knitwear.

Marisa Glied said...

Much more stylish! Great job!


jenny_o said...

Ooo ... I love it - great job!