There was much to be done to get this dress up to date. First step, tackle those shoulder pads.
Oh, what's this:
Yup, that's a second set of mini shoulder pads under the first set of large ones. Frankly, this could have 5 sets of pads and they'd all end up in the trash.
Then, it was time for the sleeves. Much like previous refashions, I prefer to seam-rip the sleeves off, rather than cut them, because it leaves behind a 1/4" hem that is already permanently folded and easy to pin.
It is incredible how time consuming this is. Seriously, I'm talking hours! Delicate material and heavy duty serging make the process even more slow-going.
I took the sides in and had to say a sad farewell to the pleated skirt as it was just too long and I didn't trust my skills to relocate it higher. However, the end result is quite lovely!
Head over to my blog Hems and HaHa's to see the whole seam-ripperiffic process and to weigh in on whether it looks better forwards or backwards.