Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Fixing A New Dress

I bought this new dress from It looked super cute online. Of course the model is probably a lot taller than my 5'4" height. I knew it may be too long but it was more than too long. It was also too big in the sleeves and just wasn't fitting right. Let me show you a comparison:

Modeling wearing dress on

Me in the same dress :(
I couldn't return it because shipping it back to NJ was going to cost as much as the dress! Next time I will know to order smaller.

So I got to measuring and then pinning. I put the dress on my dress form and pulled the hem up and pinned it. I planned to cut off the extra after sewing it, that way I could make sure it was the length I wanted it in case I needed to redo it. I would later regret this decision.

This will turn out to be a bad idea.
Then I hemmed it. I tried it on and its all good so I cut the excess length off.

So next up was the sleeves. Im not going to try to make them tighter but I did make them smaller. I thought about removing the cuffs and resewing them on but when I tried to pick out the thread it would snag the material so I abandoned that idea and just did a normal hem.

Not too difficult of a refashion. Actually this may be more of an alteration than a refashion. So its not exactly my dream dress but it is a lot better than before. Im still thinking about taking it in on the sides but I haven't decided yet. It IS still a bit too big in the waist and on top.

Check out my my blog post to see why I regretted the way I hemmed this dress! 


Carissa said...

Precisely why I hate ordering clothes online - so frustrating! Way to make the best of it though. Your new dress looks much better suited to you now!


g.satansbraten said...

Got to 'dislike' ordering clothes online as well due to

a) sizing 'interpretation-differences'
b) lack of full description/ show of the revers-/back-view of things

In general: IF I have to (cautiously) resort to catalogue/online, then I tend to pick 1 - 2 sizes higher. This due to the 'seamstress wisdom' of taking off and/or in is way easier than adding to something when no surplus material is at hand.

LG, Gerlinde

Marisa Glied said...

You made the best out of a bad situation. The dress was really pretty and just needed some alterations:)


Lolo said...

Thank you everyone! I think Im going to take it in a little more on the sides.