Friday, July 29, 2016

Ghosts of Shoulder Pads Past

I swear every time I go into a second hand store I fall in love with a blazer/coat/blouse and it has sky high shoulder pads. I swear some can double as sleepwear...meaning the pillow is on your shoulder! I found this jacket a few weeks back and fell in love with the pattern! 

Look at these shoulders I am far from impressed, but with a change in the dress code at my workplace I am in need of a few blazers. I will fully admit that I was terrified to undertake this refashion, but I couldn't wear it as is so the risk was worth it.


I'm sorry I really should have moved my hair to give you a good side by side comparison, but I think you can tell that the shoulder on the left is very straight and the one on the right is sloped.


Here is another side by side attempt. Along with taking the shoulder pad out I took in the shoulder by pulling the shoulder and arm in and sewing it in a semicircle rather than the pointy elliptical that it was originally. 


Overall I am quite happy with this refashion! I definitely think it is far more wearable and modern now! If you would like to know more about this refashion please visit my blog post. I actually did the post as a three part shoulder pad eviction! As always till next time stay creative! 

2 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Every time I see blazers or jackets with huge shoulder pads like this, I immediately think of the movie Working Girl -- female characters dressed in power suits with shoulder pads and big hair. I love the changes you made. Much more wearable now. Great job.

Jennifer, EOD

Unknown said...

Thank you Jennifer for your comment! Great movie reference!