Sunday, July 24, 2016

Hack Job

I should change my username to 'The Laziest Seamstress in All of History'.

Buuuttt, I'd like to show you this little project to remind you that sometimes, 'laziness' can be good in refashioning! ;)

Got this cute shirt from my favorite Flagstaff Goodwill! Problem: The sleeves were weird. They just didn't 'feel' right, since the garment was a light, summery linen. 

Look at the cute little neon pink designs!!
So I thought "Okay, I'll cut off the sleeves and make some binding tape for the edges out of the sleeves! Do not be lazy! You're never going to improve if you don't try!" ...And then this project was summarily ignored for 3 weeks. And I have a hard-and-fast rule in my sewing room that says 'no starting new projects if you have one already in the works'.

So I looked at the shirt some more, and realized I could do some more (very close careful) cutting along the seams and end up with 'spaghetti straps'! I wasn't sure how it would look, but I took a deep breath and tried it anyway...


...And it turned out great! It now feels much more summer appropriate and looks nicer too! 

The back. You can't even tell all I did was chop out the sleeves.

So there you go! Laziness: justified. Yesssssssss.

Hope y'all are having a good weekend!

~Illy

5 comments:

RePurposeFul said...

Fabulous! It looks great, and an ingenious idea :)

Carissa said...

I'm a big believer in "less is more." The spaghetti straps are perfect for this summery shirt, and the hot pink pattern is amazingly adorable!

-Carissa
EOD

Gema said...

So cute!

TheRefashStash said...

Turned out super cute!

-TheRefashStash

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone! I wore it this weekend on some errands and loovveeddd it!