NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Dress Refashioned Into A Top!!

I thrifted this dress for $6.99 but got 50% off on National Thrift Shop Day at Value Village, so it was only $3.50.  I knew it wouldn't fit me, but I liked the fabric and knew there would be enough fabric in the skirt to make a little top.
image
Here is the dress before refashioning.
image
I took out my trusty seam ripper and removed the bodice from the skirt.  Then I removed the lining.  I had considered leaving it in but I wanted to try French seams with this top as I have never done them before.  Now I had three pieces, the bodice, the skirt and the lining.
image
I gave the skirt a good pressing before starting and then took this vintage scarf top that I made and used it as my pattern.  I just basically cut out two squares from the skirt leaving the original hem at the bottom.  Then I zigzagged all my raw edges.  To make French seams, at least the way I did it, you must put your wrong sides together and sew your seams with a bare 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then I pressed the seams well.  Then I turned the top inside out and sewed the seams with a 1/2 inch seam allowance to trap the first 1/4 inches inside.  This created a little pocket which holds all the raw edges inside for a smooth finish.  Then I just hemmed my neck and arm holes and I was done!!
image
Here is the finished top.  I am quite pleased with it.  The fabric was inexpensive to start, so if I had blown this project, all would not have been lost.  I love the polka dots and the drape of the fabric, the only draw back is that it creases like blue blazes!!  So I will have to iron it each time I wear it.  What!!!!  I hate ironing, but I do like the top.  What do you think of my little refashioning?  Cheers, Michele. Check out my blog Here!

3 comments:

fabrichoarder said...

Bummer about the ironing - I'm a sucker for big spots, too! Bet it looks lovely on.

Heidi said...

If you machine dry it, take it out ASA the machine stops. Or use one of those hand-held clothing steamers?

I like the dots.

jennifer elliott said...

I'm a sucker for dots too! Great save!

Jennifer, EOD