Friday, September 16, 2016

Dress Refashioned Into A Top!!

I thrifted this dress for $6.99 but got 50% off on National Thrift Shop Day at Value Village, so it was only $3.50.  I knew it wouldn't fit me, but I liked the fabric and knew there would be enough fabric in the skirt to make a little top.
image
Here is the dress before refashioning.
image
I took out my trusty seam ripper and removed the bodice from the skirt.  Then I removed the lining.  I had considered leaving it in but I wanted to try French seams with this top as I have never done them before.  Now I had three pieces, the bodice, the skirt and the lining.
image
I gave the skirt a good pressing before starting and then took this vintage scarf top that I made and used it as my pattern.  I just basically cut out two squares from the skirt leaving the original hem at the bottom.  Then I zigzagged all my raw edges.  To make French seams, at least the way I did it, you must put your wrong sides together and sew your seams with a bare 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then I pressed the seams well.  Then I turned the top inside out and sewed the seams with a 1/2 inch seam allowance to trap the first 1/4 inches inside.  This created a little pocket which holds all the raw edges inside for a smooth finish.  Then I just hemmed my neck and arm holes and I was done!!
image
Here is the finished top.  I am quite pleased with it.  The fabric was inexpensive to start, so if I had blown this project, all would not have been lost.  I love the polka dots and the drape of the fabric, the only draw back is that it creases like blue blazes!!  So I will have to iron it each time I wear it.  What!!!!  I hate ironing, but I do like the top.  What do you think of my little refashioning?  Cheers, Michele. Check out my blog Here!

3 comments:

fabrichoarder said...

Bummer about the ironing - I'm a sucker for big spots, too! Bet it looks lovely on.

Heidi said...

If you machine dry it, take it out ASA the machine stops. Or use one of those hand-held clothing steamers?

I like the dots.

jennifer elliott said...

I'm a sucker for dots too! Great save!

Jennifer, EOD