Thursday, March 30, 2023

Cardigan with worn fabric turned inside out (go for visible seams!)

 


Hi everyone! We all have our favourite garments, right? That soft cardigan, top or comfy sweater. Items we'd wish we could wear forever. This pink cardigan is one of my personal favourites. I could wear it day in and day out. I've been washing it by hand, to preserve the colour and keep it in tip-top shape a little longer. Sadly, the fabric on the left shoulder got worn out, the result of wearing the belt of my handbag on that same shoulder. And in reality it's much worse than the photograph shows, trust me. Way beyond getting away with a trendy 'used look'. Also because the fabric on the right shoulder looks much better.  

So I decided to go for a simple creative approach: turn the cardigan inside out and go for visible seams! I've seen it so often in the last couple of years: tops, sweaters and even pants, all with visible seams. It gives the garment a bit of an edge and my 'neat' pink cardigan could use some edge!

In the proces, I faced only a few challenges. One was simple: remove the brand and washing tags...

let's show some pink visible seams!

The next step was a bit more challenging, because the shoulder seam was reinforced with WHITE seam tape. Impossible to ignore and difficult to remove since it was sewn together with the shoulder seam. Nonetheless a problem I had to solve. Fortunately, after a few days of pondering, I suddenly remembered my experiments with hand painted prints a few years ago. I still had a few bottles of textile paint and (yay!) one of them had the exact same pink colour! How about that?!

Me carefully hand painting the white seam tape...




I must say I'm quite happy with how this turned out. It's no rocket science, but hopefully it inspires you to look at your garment in a new way: inside out! 




Thanks for reading along and you are very welcome to visit vermaakster.blogspot.com for more details and a step by step explanation in Dutch and English.


3 comments:

sillygirl said...

And it is more comfortable than with those seams rubbing your skin.

I Can Work With That said...

This looks so good. Smart idea.
Chickie

Vermaakster said...

Thanks!