Thursday, March 10, 2011

A success, a failure?

I am just beside myself over this repurposed pillow, which (as you can read on my blog) I made myself, using tips from this book (bought secondhand) and a sheet from my husband's great-grandmother. It must have been at least 100 years old. The fabric is almost damask in its feel and weight and it has a white on white motif of insects and flowers. 


But I'm far less happy about one half of my pink shirt project. The dress for my daughter just hasn't turned out well, even though it looks pretty:


The dress has a lining (made from a pillowcase), which is trimmed with some bias tape I made from Liberty fabric, as well as a cute ruffle on the bodice. The straps still need to be attached. I don't know, it just doesn't seem right somehow - it's slightly too short now and the bodice fits oddly. It just seems weird on her. And my daughter isn't very enthusiastic about it either. Any advice, anyone, on salvaging this one? Maybe it should be skirt? Maybe I should remove the buttons? 

3 comments:

gypsybiscuit said...

Can you post a pic of your daughter wearing the dress as is, so that we can offer some input?

Lyndel said...

I absolutely LOVE the pillow, what a treasure.
the dress? mmmm hard to tell, I guess gypsybiscuit's idea is one way to see how it looks on.

Refashion said...

If it looks like your daughter won't wear it as a dress, I would definitely consider making it a skirt instead. Don't remove those buttons! I think they're cute! :) -Jillian, EOD