Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Another Knitwear Refashion/Remake

I think I'm at risk of developing quite an obsession with making cute knitwear garments out of second-hand mens knit. But as obsessions go, I think it's a fairly healthy one of acquire!

The original garment that this creation came from was in really good condition, except for worn elbows which were easily avoided. Plus, I personally find the quality of wool in mens jumpers tends to be better than the cheap, nasty, supposedly 'disposible' knits they churn out for women which therefore end up in charity shops.

For this refashion/remake, I retained the original neckhole and shoulder yoke. I harvested the ribbing from the hem and cuffs which I reattached with my overlocker before attaching the sleeves at the sleeve-head and zipping the sleeve and side seams closed.

The aim was to make a 1940's inspired short puff sleeved kind of garment. I added a little nautical flavour with a fake pocket flap made from scraps of a mens shirt. More info and deets on this project can be found here! Happy refashioning!

Zoe xxx

8 comments:

Huli said...

Ooooh I love it & it looks great on you :)

jane said...

oooh, i'm such a sucker for sleeves with any sort of puff! fun :D

Unknown said...

you find WOOL we only get thick clunky wool sweater never something like that all of ours are polyester. Of course I would be melting half the year in wool. That is a lovely shirt and I think you might have found your calling

Unknown said...

A wonderful refashion, love the nautical theme

twobutterflies said...

Love that little pocket!!

Lovenicky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lovenicky said...

I love your 'vintage-looking' sweater. I agree that men's clothing usually have better material as well as construction than women's clothing. Perhaps women change their wardrobe items much quicker than men so the manufacturers don't bother to make them in a good quality material?

Unknown said...

Very nice Zoe,
I also have a big old knitted men's sweater lying around ready for a refashion into a pretty 'Old Molly' style knitted jacket for next winter.

Eddie
Editor on Duty