Monday, April 11, 2011

Skirt into Summer dress

So my mom gave me an old skirt, and I thought I'd try my first Refashion on it... There are quite a few mistakes, sloppy stitching, bad fitting, etc. With a crinkly, wrinkly light material, I thought it would hide a lot of the sloppiness. It's a really weird fit in the back, and goes down way too low in the back to wear even a strapless bra, so I went with a bikini top that kind of matched. Hence the flour sack boobs. I basically cut the skirt in two halves, flipped one half upside down and sewed it back together at the elastic, and then put it on and safety pinned it where I wanted it to be, and sewed it later. It was really fun while sewing it. I was intoxicated with the thrill of going patternless, which I regretted a little bit the day after. Ta daaa!

8 comments:

Refashion said...

That is SUPER clever! I've been thinking recently that I could use some more dresses [ha, well, "use" = covet!] ... and this refashion has just exploded open the possibilities for new dresses! Thanks so much for sharing, I think it looks great on you =).

Jessica
EOD

seeks said...

cute idea! sorry it didn't turn out as well as you'd hoped. I'll try to keep your tips in mind, should I find a sweet skirt begging to be a dress. :)

poet said...

This dress looks great! I don't know what you're talking about, I don't see any floursacks anywhere :)... I nearly always go patternless, and I think you've just given me an idea of what to do with the other half of a long skirt I intend to shorten...

Becky said...

Even if it didn't turn out quite as you hoped, you had fun making it, and that's important too! And the beauty of refashioning is that you can always find a way to tweak it to be more what you want later. :)

Corina said...

You can't even see the less than perfect parts. I love that you put those two colors together.

Huli said...

I think it looks great on you too & I love turquoise&red combo :) Keep up the refashioning :)

Michelle Ross said...

You girls are so sweet- it's a little unsettling to be on the other side of the camera for once! I really appreciate your support and kind words. You've restored my confidence just a bit ;)

Agy said...

I love how it's turned out. Love the red shoes too! :-)