Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Grandmaman's sheet to a granny shift


I'm so excited - this is the first dress I have ever made! I know it looks like nothing special, just an old-lady kind of shift, cut for a plump mommy. But what makes this dress special for me is not just that I made it myself, but that I repurposed some of my antique linen stash for it. I dyed a cotton sheet that was in my husband's grandmother's trousseau, fabric from 1936 at the latest. I wanted to honor Grandmaman's memory, as she was a lovely woman whom I had the privilege of knowing for five years, and so I carefully clipped her monogram from a corner of the sheet, and stitched on to the back of the neck as a sort of label.


For the neckline and arm openings I made bias tape with scraps left from this project, which I had thrown in the dye with the sheet.


For the pattern, I worked from a Lisette shift (Simplicity 2211, view D), but also winged it. The project took me a while to do, but was really rather simple at heart. I am quite happy with how it has turned out and I'm sure I'll get good use out of it during Me-Made-June (and beyond, I hope). I can wear it to work with flats and a cardigan or around on the weekends with sandals. The fabric is soft and I'm pleased with the color. And I even have enough left for a few more projects!

I have posted more over at my blog - I'd like to say that it's a tutorial, but really, it's more of a saga on how I did it.


3 comments:

Inexpert Crafter said...

Oh look at us making our first dresses. Doesn't it feel good?

Lyndel said...

I love that you saved Granny's monogram, how thoughtful♥ you look great in that dress, love the colour, well done.

Unknown said...

That is just beautiful and I love that you made if from saved linen. The monogram is a great touch,

Eddie
eod