Sunday, May 01, 2011

Soakers



So moving on from my original tinkering with pre-made training pants into nappies I have now moved onto making my own training pants from a Wee Weka pattern, and making them able to have a soaker pad inserted as a nappy option so they can be like pull ups. To do this I just attached some little strips inside to hold a soaker pad should I want to. Have a look over on my blog for more on that soon.

But back to the actual refashioning.

I cut up a woolen cardi my auntie had given me. It was kind of nice but not really flattering so I didn't see the use in keeping it if I wasn't wearing it. I had also heard that wool is a common material for making soaker's to go over cloth nappies removing the need to plastic as it is so absorbent. So this sounded worth giving a go.

Again using the Wee Weka Pattern I cut up the pieces that already had a nice finished edge, the sleeves as little legs and the belt to make the waist band. So it really was just a matter of sewing the pieces together and now a lot of finishing. They are super stretchy so should last a good while. Pretty cute imo too. The actual sewing inside is not very tidy but I can live with that :D








It's not much I know but I am pretty chuffed nonetheless.




dl


6 comments:

Darls said...

That's great, dl!!

I would have never thought of making such one like yours so you're a genius!

Keep them coming!

Unknown said...

It seems very easy but I love it nonetheless. I have been saving the cuffs from wool sweaters that I have frogged (http://roued.com/greyduckling/diy/yarn/) for the yarn. And you have confirmed that they may come in useful at some point. Thanks!
Eddie

TracyKM said...

So cute! You might want to give it a light lanolizing, just to help in case of accidents :)

Agy said...

cute cute cute! :-)

Jenni said...

Adorable. My babies are men now...what ELSE can I do with wool cuffs?? If anyone needs some, lemme know!

dl said...

Thanks @TracyKM thats a good point :)