Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Yellow and Black

Hi everyone! This is my first post for Refashion Co-op so I'd really appreciate your feedback.

I got this very large, very bright stretchy knit top from the South Woodford branch of Cancer Research for £5. It's marked XL and as you can see it's more than a little big on me. When I bought this the Barbara Windsor lookalike behind the counter enquired very suspiciously whether I had tried this on. I told her it wasn't for me. The flowers were on their own level of awesome but unfortunately one cannot wear such prints so close to one's face without looking like one got dressed in the dark. This top was going to have to morph into a summer skirt.



This is a really basic skirt with no fastenings (zips etc) made without a pattern, simply using a body measurement to make a tube slightly tapered towards the waist and attaching a waistband. I kept the original hem from the top as you can see in the photo below. This is because I wanted to keep the RTW finish on the hem which is tricky to achieve at home. It could be done with a double needle and some yellow thread, but the missing ingredient is practice on my part. Maybe next time. Anyway I digress.... The skirt is just about long enough however, as an accomplished sewist might say, there is a little too much 'negative ease'. As my friends might say, it is too tight around the bum. Anyhow, perfect for summer in the city!

Check out the details of how I made this, and other projects from the charity bins of east London, at my blog.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it. The pattern is fab and you were right in refashioning it into a skirt - very chic!

Eddie
editor on duty

Unknown said...

I love it! You're lucky to find such a wonderful fabric, I really need to do some more op-shopping!

La La Lauren!!! said...

very cute! great job! :)
LaLaLauren

Michelle Ross said...

I love it! The print looks like the whole thing is right out of a comic strip. It's perfect as a skirt, tight or no.

dl said...

love that print on a skirt :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! :)