Thursday, June 09, 2011

Dye Shirt

A couple of you may have already seen this refashion on my own blog. I dyed a beige shirt from my wardrobe with some Scarlett Rit dye last weekend. However, my long sleeve shirt did not take to the scarlett red I envisaged, but instead, a much lighter, preferable, coral.





Dye comes in handy when re-styling fashion garments. I personally find it better to wait until you have a few pieces you would like to dye at the same time, therefore utilising as much dye as possible. I threw in four pieces into this particular dye experiment, which I will blog about at a later stage.

Has anyone else been experimenting with dye lately?

Erica, Editor on Duty

4 comments:

The Creative Miss W said...

That's lovely . I think you're right the coral is a better colour then bright red for that top and off course it makes perfect sense to wait til you have a few things.You could coordinate some pieces that way too off course which would be nice.I'm finding it really hard to find nice quality plain fabric in colours I like so I was thinking of dyeing some. I want to make some plain skirts so they can go with lots of different tops.

Unknown said...

I have been playing with Rit too!! Will be posting about it shortly. Love that coral colour!
Px

La La Lauren!!! said...

I have been playing around with dye also. From what I have learned with dying any sort of cream color shirt with any dye in the red family I always get coral. They may be various shades but its always coral. But coral is in this season so even better. :) On another side note, my boyfriend has gotten into using rit to dye plastic discs for disc golf. Luckily our cats have been spared in being dyed since there are 2 people playing with dye in the kitchen ;)

LaLaLauren

Becky said...

The coral does look much nicer than the red would have, I think!

I dyed some yarn last week that I'd unraveled from a wrap. It was an ugly taupe and I was hoping for green-- an acrylic/bamboo blend that I used both the polyester and regular iDyes on in hopes that the two fibers would pick up dye. Now it's just an ugly greenish-taupe. So I'm not sure this can be counted as a success...I'll be blogging about it soon. Hoping to do some other dye experiments over the summer, too, but I only had time for one project that day.