Monday, July 11, 2011

hello and three in one!

hello!

i'm returning to sewing and blogging after birth of my first daughter last year.

delighted to have found another way to inspire me to write what i do (and DO it too!) - and to see what lots of other talented needlefolks are doing around the world too.

cheers!
georgeina

*deep breath* - here goes

I bought a couple of ginormous nighties from Primark while pregnant and, hating to see these swathes of perfectly acceptable cotton jersey go to waste, I got my sewing mojo working again. Now my blogging mojo is revived, here I am to tell you about one UK size 22 nightie that has become...

marina standing in stripey dress



one dress, from McCalls M5916 pattern. I used the existing frilly placket and cut the rest of the dress around it. Sizing slightly skew-whiff - it's big on Little Miss but that's acceptable as these baby-people keep growing, don't they?

It's a super-easy pattern and I'm sure if I keep making it, I'll be able to bash out a dress in an evening before long. We hope. Motherhood, sadly, has not taken away my capacity to sit and stare into space instead of sewing.


baby in pants



one matching pair of panties, from the same pattern.


At this point I had to start piecing the fabric - thankfully only once, and the stripes hide the seam perfectly. I used jaunty fuchsia satin binding on the elastic casing, which may not show but *I* (and now you) know it's there.


marina in stripey sunbonnet



one floppy brimmed sunhat. The pattern is by Enid Gilchrist, who I'd have remained ignorant of but for the Internet - an australian who wrote excellent books on DIY pattern drafting.


This sun bonnet just tickles me - cute but practical, AND rocking a somewhat Amish/dutch nun vibe. It was great fun working out how to eke out the remaining scraps and only piece them twice! I recommend giving it a try - the pattern doesn't have instructions but it is do-able.


To catch up on past sewing exploits, drop by http://www.georgeina.wordpress.com/ for a mooch around.

5 comments:

Refashion said...

So cute and great re-use to get not one but three things from one nightie. Thank you for showing us.
Debbie
EOD

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous refashion! The bonnet is especially adorable.

jessica said...

How ingenious. Love the ruffled bib, that bonnet, and of course the fact that you squeezed not one but THREE garments from the prior one!

Clever!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the feedback! much appreciated and leaving a warm glow :D

Anonymous said...

thanks for the feedback! much appreciated and leaving a warm glow :D