Monday, August 08, 2011

Got an Event??


Celebrations, dances and events mark exciting and meaningful dates in our lives.....and we always remember the dress we wore.
My daughter had a stream of events in high school and needed a dress for every event.

Junior clothing is not very expensive but for me it was the value of the dresses in her closet and that they were only getting worn once.
It bothered me that these dresses were going to waste and I thought it was time to show her a way to be more resourceful and creative with what she already had.

I had been refashioning items - for the love of it and for the practicalness of it - all of my life. It was time to pass on a little knowledge to her.


I started with an already simple yet usable dress she

had in her closet.....


I wanted to add just a few simple touches that would create a new look yet not be too difficult for her to follow.
We purchased some black satin and black lace trim.

I trimmed the hem about an inch and then found the side seams on both the mesh and the lining. I then found the center front and the center back and marked them with pins.



I then ran a basting stitching throughout the hemline of the mesh. Making sure that it was even between my side seam, ctr front and ctr back.


I basted on the black lace

trim to the lining and then sewed the mesh "bubble" hem to the lining.

For the sash I used satin and a fusible interlining for body and support. I created a sash with a bow and made sure it was finished well at the side seam.


Her dress was complete and it was SUCH a hit! No one at the dance had a dress like it and we spent maybe 20.00.
My daughter was proud to tell everyone that "we" designed it and that it was from a dress she had in her closet. I was proud to show her a way to be creative, resourceful and unique.
I am always working on refashioning items. I share them on my MashUp page of my site as well as my FB page. I will be sure to post another again soon.

3 comments:

jessica said...

Oooooh! What a clever use of black lace on a white dress -- the black and white are SO glamorous and sophisticated together, no wonder your daughter got so many compliments (also, what a great introduction to refashioning -- double bonus!) The black satin trim at the waist is the perfect touch, too. I LOVE this!

Sigrid said...

Great idea, I too am disturbed by those dresses that just get worn once. The black touches are brilliant, the dress looks better than before.

Jenni said...

Beautiful dress and fabulous lesson for your daughter! Actually you taught all of her friends too, since they admired it. :)
Jenni EOD