Monday, September 12, 2011

My "Chanel"



I parallel thrift shopping to life..."Go in with a goal but be open the outcome. The results are far better." When I shop at thrift stores, flea markets or garage sales - I am rarely looking for that "one item"because it never will be found. My approach is to be clear on my own style or the trends I am creating and then see what happens.

I was out searching for event dresses that I could refashion into even better gowns (I will share more soon) and came upon a dress that had my name on it. Clean lines, with a bold graphic - so me. Five dollars later I was on my way to creating a nice dress I would mainly wear to weddings - since I had a few of them on my calendar for the end of summer.





As always, I put it on my body form and looked at the "bones" of the dress. I knew I could give this graphic silhouette some flare. It was a size ten floor length sheath with a knee height slit in the back. It looked matronly and I wanted it to have some style.




I carefully pinned in the side seams without making the dress pull and then I gave it open tucks on the front and small darts on the neck in back.

I had to adjust the shoulder and armhole a bit and I had successfully sized it down to a size 2 and gave it an updated look.



Next, I cut the bottom to an above knee length for myself. I then stitched the side seams. That was the most challenging since I had to stop precisely at each color, re-thread the machine, stitch, stop, rethread and then stitch. I hemmed the dress and sent it to the cleaners where it was drycleaned, pressed and ready to wear. I wore it with a pair of Gucci shoes and paired it with a Micheal Kors clutch I found at a resale boutique.

I got several compliments on my dress at both the weddings and didnt divulge its "wear abouts".





8 comments:

Corina said...

That came out great. I love the Chanel look.

Melissa said...

Liz, you just rock it, girlfriend!!!!!! I'm always amazed at your style!!!

Refashion said...

The dress looks so chic on you. Thank you for sharing the details of the refashion, always fascinating to read. And I like your thrifting philosophy!

Debbie
EOD

CarmencitaB said...

Stupendous! What a find!

Unknown said...

Fantastic! Love how this dress turned out. Next time someone compliments you, you should proudly tell them that you made it!

Unknown said...

Simply brilliant!
Px

Claire Cooper said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks fantastic. Very inspiring!