Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Remade Lace Yoke Sweatshirt

Alright Autumn, I'm ready for you! You can bring on the chilliness now because I've got a cute, cosy little sweatshirt remake lined up. This started life as a big, stained, unloved and unwanted dude's sweatshirt. Happily is washed up well, so once dried it got the scissor treatment.

I cut along the side seams and removed the sleeves. I harvested the neck binding and cut along the shoulder seams. I placed my front and back pattern pieces so the bottom edges married up with the lower edge of the ribbing. I also cut the sleeves to retain the cuff ribbing and left the sleeve seam intact. I wanted the new sleeves to be 3/4 length, seeing as I usually yank up longer sleeves on tops anyhow.

I took a length of wide lace and applied it to the yoke area of the front piece. I carefully stitched around the edge of the lace, making sure the stitching would fall within the seam allowance of all the edges that would be joined to another piece. Then I constructed the whole sweatshirt reusing the original neck binding using an overlocker. As you can see, the sleeveheads have a gathered effect by easing in the excess into the armhole as I inserted the sleeves. I really love this little sweatshirt!

Zoe xxx

9 comments:

fluffnnonsense said...

So pretty! GREAT! xx

Unknown said...

Ooo Zoe you're so clever, love this little sweatshirt

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

What a fab idea. It looks great!

Refashion said...

This is lovely!

LaLaLauren
Editor on Duty

Charmaine said...

I totally just pinned this! Reference for later :)

Shey said...

super great idea!

Adele said...

I love that!! Proper gorge!!

- Ellie @ Mammy Made

Agy said...

Brilliant refashion!!!!

Huli said...

awesome refashion zoe, love your work!