Thursday, October 27, 2011

Smelly Coat Reimagined - Memoryseed Style

Hello! One year ago I never even heard of the term refashion. Fast forward to today, here I am being included in the Refashion Co-op community. Yay! I'm so excited! :)

I am a Malaysian born and bred, presently living in Iowa with my husband and son. Always been into making things, I love cooking and do a lot of handsewing (mostly home deco stuff and crafts). My husband bought me my very first sewing machine 2 years ago, but I only braved myself to have a go at using it last year. My goal this year is to teach myself garment sewing, and that's what I've been doing for the past few months...


For my first post, I am sharing with you my Cape/Cloak/Capelet project that I completed last month. It took me about a month from start to finish, but I am super proud (and relieved) that it's done!


Materials
:
  • 1 Smelly long tan suede coat (fabulous faux fur collar came with it) found at a consignment shop (cost $20)
  • 1 thrifted men's plaid wool jacket (cost $0.25)
  • Thread from stash
Unfortunately, I do not have a before picture of the coat and jacket, but here they are reimagined:


And here I am at the park wearing the cape/cloak/capelet, fit for chilly fall in the Midwest.



If you are interested to read more on this project, come and visit me at my blog
Memoryseed (I'm very green at blogging too!). I have a few projects on the works, so I will be back soon.

Peace,

Far @ Memoryseed

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you've spent a lot of time working on this cape, it looks great. I'm *imagining* what the old smelly coat looked like before!

Far said...

Lol! Thanks Erica Louise! :)

Ruby Murray said...

Great job, I never think to refashion coats into outerwear, I always tend to use the fabric for other (usually non wearable) stuff. Great idea and who doesn't love a cape?

Far said...

Thanks Ruby! I accidentally shrunk 2 of my favorite wool jackets recently :( I'm still thinking of what to reuse the fabric for...