Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baby Jumper Trousers

Since I figured out how to make baby trousers for the increasingly number of little 'uns that my friends have been popping out, my overlocker has been a-blur. I'm not sure how many pairs I've cranked out now, but it's well into double figures. They have been a great way to use up small pieces of pretty jersey and knit fabric and even cute old T-shirts, but my favourite pair to date are the less-visually-appealing version pictured here.

These trousers started out life as a lightweight jumper belonging to my dad. He look a dislike to it for some reason so it got passed on to my boyfriend. However, it was way too big for my boyfriend (not that such a triviality would have prevented him continuing to go to work in it until I insisted he took it off and wore something else that actually looked like it belonged to him!). By that afternoon the jumper in question had become a new pair of Winter trousers for baby Joe. I lined up the bottom edge of the trouser pattern pieces with the bottom edge of the jumper so its ribbing would be included and I wouldn't have to bother finishing the hems of the final trousers.

What I loved about making this particular pair of baby trousers above the others is that it is directly making use of an unwanted garment that has gone down a small chain of owners, all of whom are very special to me. The jumper is now being enjoyed in its new incarnation, which reminds me a lot of the way women had to creatively reinterpret unwanted adult garments to clothe their children when clothing and fabric were scarce and being rationed during the Second World War, and no-doubt in many difficult times before and since the 1940's. Making a garment in a similar vein makes me feel connected to that tradition and the women before me to whom this was a regular activity. Using sewing skills in this 'old-fashioned' way, i.e. to make essential clothing that will be regularly worn increasingly inspires and appeals to me above making another pretty dress that may see two or three wears a year.

Happy Refashioning
Zoe xxx

2 comments:

fashion-meets-art said...

OMG!!! so cute <3 love it!
your blog is really nice!
you def have a new follower :)
if you have a little time, you can check out my blog. if you like it, you can follow me too, i'll be waiting for you.
there's also a giveaway on my blog. only two days...you can win sweet macarons and chanel polish, hope you'll have a look. you can find it below my header on the right side.
lovely greets and a wonderful weekend.
maren anita

www.fashion-meets-art.com

Refashion said...

I love this trouser refashion and your thinking behind it. I like how you say it connects you to a tradition of re-use. There is definitely room for lots of future exploration here. Oh and what a cute baby!

Debbie
EOD