Thursday, November 03, 2011

The gift of thrift refashion

XL thrifted shirt from Savers...


reconstructed to make a Sorbetto blouse (modified with sleeves)....


I wear the blouse to show how it looks now, although it is not actually made to fit me, I've made it as a gift for a friend.

I've removed the sleeves, stitched them back on but shorted their length, moved the front of the shirt to the back of the blouse (buttons down the back), and for the first time, I've made my own bias tape to close the raw edged neckline, with the help of my iron, and a nifty little bias tape maker (thanks Skippingtail for the tip on nifty tape maker, and thanks to Miss P for her masking tape tip too)...

DIY bias strip neckline


Blouse front



Shirt front buttons now reversed, and sit in the middle of the back of the blouse

Do you think it is OK to give a refashioned thrift garment as a gift? More thoughts and pictures over on my blog

2 comments:

Brigita said...

Lucky friend! The fabric is gorgeous and so is your sorbetto shirt. I'd say for any smart person a refashioned thrift garment is a great gift - doubly so as it's also environmentally friendly.

Little Dark Rose said...

Lovely! I like buttons at the back, they look so cute :)
Roisin