Saturday, January 07, 2012

Dress to shirt refashion

I found a great gray dress at the thrift store, but it was too short to be decent on me. It was also a little baggy around the waist. I loved the sleeves and ruffles, though, so I thought it would make a great shirt.


I knew the hem would look strange if I cut it straight across, so I grabbed a shirt that fits me well to use as a guide. By laying it on top of the dress, I could see where my hem should fall and how much I needed to take in on the sides.


I traced the edge of the pink shirt onto the front of my dress with a disappearing marker. Then I flipped it over and did the same on the back. I traced another line one inch below that to allow for the hem, then I cut along this lower line.


I folded the hem under a half-inch, then folded it under again and pressed the whole thing. I stitched the hem down, then took in the sides a bit. After a final pressing, it was ready to wear.

Now I have a lovely new shirt!

1 comment:

La La Lauren!!! said...

Wow what a great shirt! great job!

LaLaLauren
Editor on Duty