Saturday, March 31, 2012

kid's bathrobe from old towels

here is something else I made recently, to stop the three year old running around the house naked after his bath.

I made it from 2 old towels, which were a bit too small for most of us to use. I just cut out the fronts and back using the full width of the towel for the height, making sure to avoid the strip at the end, but using the finished edge for the bottom, then cut out the sleeves and hood. I made the sleeve a bit big, but that doesnt matter as they will be rolled up anyway.

I cut off the pattern bit on the end of the towel to make the binding for the front of the robe, and added a toggle, I didn't think we would be able to catch him long enough for a tie.
To be fancy i added a monogram. I used my overlocker/serger to sew it together, but you could use a straight/zigzag combination.
For the pattern I used another bathrobe, but anything that gives you the shoulder and neck shape would work. When making a hood, trace another one as a guide, then make the bottom edge of your hood the same as the neck opening. I used the finished edge of the towel on the hood as well.

2 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

My friend and I plan to try a robe like this. Yours turned out great.

Refashion said...

Practical AND comfy! Thanks for sharing! -Seeks, EOD