Sunday, April 01, 2012

Mary Katrantzou for Topshop: The refashioned version

If you’re a fan of prints, then you’re probably already aware of the designer Mary Katrantzou. She’s famous for her incredible digital prints, and importantly, the combinations of prints in her garments. She’s also famous for the skirt shape the media calls the ‘lampshade’. I decided to made my own tribute to Mary Katrantzou using cast-off clothes.

Here’s the key piece of the Mary Katrantzou for Topshop collection. This sold for £350 in shops.

To make my own version of this, I used a previously refashioned dress and a scrap of granny skirt...


...here's me modelling the final blouse. What do you think, does it do justice to the original's clashing prints?
Many more details and pictures, and a description of the pattern I used, on my blog, Charity Shop Chic.

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Cool. I actually think yours is much better! Good eye.
Sandy in the UK

concretenprimroses said...

It looks great. I've got a red rayon dress I bought for the fabric for $3. This is getting me thinking...
Kathy
ps I tried to leave a comment on your blog, not sure that it worked.

Refashion said...

How fun! Love the blocking! :) -Seeks, EOD

House of Pinheiro said...

looked great

Anonymous said...

OK, you're not only adorable, but clever as well!
Beth

concretenprimroses said...

I keep coming back to this because I love it so much. I now have good pink fabric in both rayon and cotton (pillowcase). I need the blue fabric and to look for an appropo pattern.
I'm tempted to do the two patterns on the back too, maybe without the piping which could be uncomfy to lean on. Any thoughts?
Kathy

gaby said...

great inspiration for color and print blocking! Thanks!

Charity Shop Chic (Sally) said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments :)

Charity Shop Chic (Sally) said...

Hi Kathy,
The Colette Sorbetto is a good starter pattern, and it's free. If you click over to my blog there's a link to it there.
My 'piping' isn't really piping as there is no string in it. It's just a folded piece of bias cut material. So I don't think it would be terribly uncomfortable to lean on if you put this at the back too. I think the design definitely benefits from the white piping separating the two prints, but it's your call!
Have fun!