Sunday, April 29, 2012

Shiny Dress to less formal top

Well here goes ... Firstly confession time, not only am I new to Refashion Co-op but I'm also new to refashioning. I refashioned my very first garment today. Firstly I suppose I'd better say a bit about me. I'm 44, married with three boys (10, 7 and almost 4) My oldest has very severe ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome.

Sewing is my solace, my sanity. Enough about me, you're not reading this to find out my life story so what have I been refashioning. I bought this dress around 3-4 years ago to celebrate my wedding anniversary. I really like the style, its bias cut and fairly classic in style but I've always been disappointed that it wasn't silk, its also very shiny so only really suitable for quite dressy occasions of which there aren’t many in my life .....
So I grabbed my scissors this afternoon whilst ds1 was at a birthday party and cut off the skirt. Then I resewed the seam that I'd ripped open, after I'd searched high and low for matching thread, then I hemmed it. Quickly snipping the threads whilst wearing it before I collected DS1 from the birthday party I snipped the hem I'd just made .....

So here is my refashion, finished albeit for a mistake I made whilst rushing. So at some later date (tomorrow) I shall re-turn the hem and re-sew it covering up my snipping mistake (which of course is right in the front!) 

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Nicola - i think from sewing forum! Well done on your first refasion.

I haven't signed up to post here yet, since I am up to my ears teaching, but when I stop in July, I hope to be able to get on the waiting list.

Do you like ruffles or pleated trim? or wear scarves? Maybe you can make an infinity scarf from the bottom portion, and maybe make a ruffled or pleated trim for the neckline to add even further interest.
Sandy in the UK
(or Sew Whatever)

Refashion said...

I'm glad that you may get more wear out of this fun top now. Sorry you felt so rushed, I hope refashioning becomes something you find enjoyable and less hectic in the future. Welcome aboard! -Seeks, EOD

marianne_bags said...

love your design- well done. i have 4 boys - 18 years to 6 months- never enough time in the day is there ?