Thursday, May 17, 2012

One-shoulder Chevron Dress


My only "before" pic
I made this dress out of two large t-shirts I had originally intended on refashioning into a self-drafted (read: disastrous) dress. I took the print of the tees, cut them in strips, alternated them with strips of plain t-shirt, and then re-cut them in biased strips to create the chevron.  In retrospect, and with more t-shirt material (read: had I not butchered the shirts earlier), I would have made two squares of strips and cut them both in opposing bias directions to facilitate the chevron pattern.  I would also recommend using a serger/overlock for the strips, as cutting them again for the chevron resulted in some unraveling.

The dress is based on the One Shoulder Knit Dress pattern by dixiediy over at Burdastyle and is super comfy. A little extra was added to the front skirt panels to account for some baby-belly action.

If you want more to read, you can visit my blog post.

6 comments:

Julia said...

Oh, wow! I am loving the chevron trend, and this is a great way to do it!
Julia

Bat Ma'am said...

Adorable!! Love the baby bump! I have baby fever like crazy! And I love the tat.

Anonymous said...

great blog great talent come to us!

Unknown said...

Wow, this is fantastic Seeks!!

Ruth E. Brown said...

I love it. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love the quilted effect of the bodice. Very cool. I think I will try to figure this out for a dress for my girl.