Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Too Old for Shorts?

This is my first post to Refashion Co-op. I'm excited to be here. I have to apologize for not having "before" pics for a few things as I post away. My computer crashed recently & I lost all my pictures. Shame on me for not backing things up.

Anyway, a bit about myself...I live in NWPA on a small farm with my husband, son, two dogs, three cats, two horses, five dairy goats, one turkey & a host of chickens & geese. I collect & sell vintage clothing & accessories online at my etsy store http://www.moosewoodvintage.com/ .

I'm a compulsive thrifter & addicted sewist.  I also complain a lot about the lack of "hip", up-to-date styles for women, like myself, over the age of 50. (I'm 57, but refuse to admit it.) I don't want to look like some old lady trying to relive her 20's, but geez, I don't want to look like an old lady either. (Any ideas from you folks would be greatly appreciated.)

So, just to get started on my commitment to post refashioned items here...  Sometimes I'm just not comfortable in shorts.  Capri length works better for me.  I'm a thrift store junky & tend to buy jeans to wear or for recycling.  I found two pair in my size with just the right amount of stretch, but with battered hems.  One pair I cut off to capri length & simply hemmed.  To the other pair, pictured here, I added pieces from my favorite, but badly worn "cowgirl" shirt.



I also "appliqued" the shirt pocket onto one of the back pockets of the jeans. I did leave the appliqued pocket open at the top, so it is functional.


Okay. Nothing fancy, but dang it, I loved that shirt!

6 comments:

Caroline said...

awwwww
LOVELY post and LOVE yr comments and LOVE the idea!!!

Little Blue Mouse said...

I love how you've used the pocket on the pocket.

Do you have a blog, because I'd like to take a look?

Ruth E. Brown said...

I'm afraid I don't have a blog....yet. Working on that.

Unknown said...

Welcome to Refashion Co-op! Looking forward to seeing more of your work

Erica, EOD

Ruth E. Brown said...

So....I started a blog.
Here's the address.
http://moosewoodvintage.wordpress.com/

concretenprimroses said...

Love how the cowboy shirt looks with the denim. good choice!
I know what you are saying about being "a woman of a certain age". Not only are the clothes not out there to buy, but refashioning is challenging at times. We can't make something frumpy with good fabric cute by making it short for example.
Looking forward to seeing your posts!
Kathy