Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Transformer Purse and Tote

I have a confession: I love ModCloth. I obsess over their items, and then I refuse to buy anything because they're all pretty expensive. Recently, I found the Design museum bag. It's a shoulder bag! It's a tote! I had some great fabric scraps lying around, so I ended up with this:
Puppy photobomb





It's a simple design I hadn't seen before: Just a tote bag with handles at the top, and a long purse strap attached halfway down the side seams so that it folds over when you wear it over your shoulder. I added a zippered pocket for my wallet and cell phone, so it's now the perfect grocery shopping bag. I can fit other totes inside when it's all folded up...






 



And then it folds out to fit loads of groceries! After a trial run, I had to stiffen the handles with zip ties so that they didn't get all floppy and stretched with the extra weight.
So many groceries! And it's pretty inside, too. The best part is that this was all just things I had around, including an old too-small belt and a zipper and leather from an old purse.

Hope everyone is having a happy weekend!

Julia

3 comments:

Hawk3ye said...

Very cool! But how did you make the handles?

Julia said...

Hawk3ye-- I'll try to explain here, but if it's not clear I'll do some sketches. The handles are just a rectangle of leather folded in half. The 'tabs' of fabric extend up into those. With those pinned in place (actually I used binder clips since it was so thick), I just did four parallel stitches all along the leather, going through the fabric as well. Then, I ended up slipping the zip ties into those 'channels.'
...did that make sense?
Julia

Refashion said...

I love the idea of using zip ties to strengthen the handles. Thanks for the share! -Seeks, EOD