Saturday, July 28, 2012

Winter Coat Refashion

So here's an old coat. This cost me about $12, at Vinnies,  back in the mid-90's, when I was at uni.


Here's the new version.

I reshaped the collar, cut a new hemline, and used the offcuts to make epaulettes, button flaps and big piratical cuffs. The buttons were in my stash, also an op-shop find from ages ago.


I managed to use most of the original coat, the only bits left are the original tie belt and about a 30cm square piece of material. Maybe I'll make a matching cap.


The little patches cover an original buttonhole and a couple of mothy/worn spots, as does the little strip around the collar.
For more detail on my process, have a look at the blog: http://makebakesisters.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/the-epic-coat-refashion/

Cheers, have a good weekend!

7 comments:

Ernie's Mum said...

Fantastic job, well done.

Nettie said...

I love this idea!! I just scored a wool coat from a Freecycler that I'd been wondering what to do with. Thanks for the inspiration!

Alexus1325 said...

That is a gorgeous new coat! I love your transformation :D

Julia said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning new coat!
Julia

Bat Ma'am said...

Wow that's amazing!! I'm getting ideas of how to refash my own winter coat !

Refashion said...

Ambitious project, with great results. :) Love the handiwork! -Seeks, EOD

Clare said...

Love. It.