Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hello Fellow Refashionistas!


Hi readers! My name is Helen and I blog over at Blue Eyed Beauty Blog! I was just invited to contribute to this amazing blog yesterday! Let me tell you a little about myself and my blog!

My blogging & refashioning experience: I'm fairly new to blogging, but in the last few months I've found myself addicted to it...and to finding new blogs to read (which is how I stumbled upon Refashion Co-op!). I LOVE to refashion clothes! In fact, I'm always digging through any of the clothes my sisters/mom give away to see if there is even a scrap of the fabric I might use for something else. I generally try to refashion a minimum of three things a month (a guideline to be a member of Cotton & Curls: Refashion Nation). So far I have written 13 posts on my blog of things I've refashioned. (I've done a few more than that, but didn't have the photo's to write a post for them, but now I know better and take pictures of EVERY project! lol).

What I Refashion: I mostly tend to refashion/sew skirts because I wear them all the time. Lately I've been broadening my experience and have moved into working on cardigans/shirts/etc. Everything I refashion is something I owned previously and wanted to give the garment new life, I found at a thrift store and saw beauty in the ugliness, or the piece of clothing was given to me by my sisters/mom or a friend who knows how much I love to refashion clothes! I literally have three big boxes of clothes sitting and waiting their turn to be picked for a refashion!

Me & my blog: Other than refashioning and style, my blog focuses on my faith (I'm Apostolic Pentecostal skirt girl and proud of it!); the many new recipes I am constantly creating and posting throughout each week; my thrift finds via yard sales or thrift stores; tutorials for sewing and crafting plus SO much more! I am also a HUGE Pinterest addict! (P.S. my pinterest account is being re-organized by me so it's kind of a mess right now, but I did try to put all the boards I'm keeping at the top of the page!) I have boards where I save my inspirational photos and links for both refashioning and creating new recipes!

Goals: I plan to post all my previous refashions until I get caught up to the point where I will share a new refashion on my blog and then hop on over here and share it will all of you lovely readers as well! And don't worry, they will be spread out and not posted all at once!

Today's Refashion: Turning Denim Jeans into a Knee-length Skirt w/Ruffle.

BEFORE

This skirt started out as a pair of jeans...which I used to wear a lot...about three years ago... When I started only wearing skirts these jeans ended up in a pile and somehow managed to stay in my possession.



AFTER

With a fair amount of work earlier this year (in May) I was able to create a perfect length skirt which was a wonderful thing to have in my closet this summer! I would wear the skirt two or three days, wash it and then wear it another two or three days. I rarely wore anything else because it was so comfortable! And even now with the fall weather approaching I am finding all sorts of outfit combinations with tights, leggings, boots, etc. so the skirt is multi-seasonal which is the best part!

I did write a short tutorial with a few pictures in it on my blog. View this post if you would like to see the details involved in making one of these skirts yourself!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your informative introduction! A pleasure to welcome you to Refashion Co-op

Never tire of jeans to skirts refashions, you've done a great job with your project here

Look forward to seeing more

Erica EOD

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Thank you Erica! :)

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog