Saturday, September 08, 2012

Spring sweater skirt!

Now that the weather's finally started to turn down here in the southern hemisphere, I have finally finished my sweater skirt!
It started out with this wounderfully fugly wool jumper which cost me $8:


I realised after I bought it that the knit was too loose for me to be able to cut it up without it just unravelling completely. I put it in the thinking pile for a while, then was inspired by Resweater to have a go at felting it. 
A couple of turns through the washing machine on hot and it felted up quite nicely (it also produced an amazing amount of turquoise fluff!)
Then I chopped off the sleeves and cut across just below the neckline to get a tube shape. Out of my stash came some previously thrifted green stretch satin fabric, which I sewed into a matching tube shape to line the skirt (I love wool, but this one was a bit scratchy).
My poor retro sewing machine didn't really love making this skirt, but eventually we managed to limp through  a casing for the elastic (just a tube using the lining fabric). Some elastic at the waist and voila! 


I didn't bother finishing the hem - Ms Janome would probably have exploded, but I think the felting will prevent any unwanted unravels. 
A bit more detail (and a fair bit more silliness) on the blog

1 comment:

Sucre said...

i really like the pattern. maybe just a strip of bias tape around the edge?