Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Homecoming Skirt

This isn't a refashion, but I need to make my posting requirement and I've had some problems come up so this is all I've been able to do.  A co-worker approached and asked if I could make a skirt for her daughter, whom I'd had in my class years ago, for homecoming.  They are modest people, not into all the skin showing, and she had an idea for one of those "adult tutus" and showed me some pictures.  Here is how it turned out:
It's a light gray in case you can't tell, and it's not really that sparkly - just glare from the flash.  For the underskirt, I cut a circle out of gray taffeta so it would have width at the bottom but not bulk at the top.  However, I allowed two extra inches at the waist measurement, so I could cut it up one side and sew a one-inch seam that stopped 7 1/2 inches from the top, like you would if you were going to install a zipper.  Then I sewed four layers of tulle to the underskirt. Each layer was about four times the hip measurement - so over 4 yards for each layer.  Then I made a waistband and sewed that on.  It closes with a hook and eye, and there is a 7 inch gap where the zipper would be and a snap about halfway down that gap to keep it from coming open and showing underwear.  I will also be making a sash for it - she chose teal.  She is trying it on tonight so hopefully it fits!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your skirt is really pretty, thank you for sharing this. However, if we could please ask that contributors stick only to refashion projects on Refashion Co-op? thanks so much!

Erica, Editor on Duty