Sunday, October 14, 2012

XL Denim top to super cute denim jacket :)

 Well, in my opinion, it is super cute, but you are allowed to think differently ;) So, let me refresh you on what this looked like before...


This is a pretty woven fabric inset in the back

Love the colors and patterns here, but this top is too big and too square!
Time to start cutting! I started by removing the sleeves and taking them in to fit my arms and shoulders. Next I chopped about 9 inches off the bottom of the shirt and then cut right down the middle of that flowered section to open it up. I salvaged some of the fabric from the back of the shirt that was left over when I cut it down to fit and used these two sections to create a band along the bottom hem of my new jacket. I also pieced together two triangular sections to finish off the newly cut open edges of the front of the jacket to protect the flowered fabric from fraying and to give a better shape to the front of the piece. Here are a few shots of the jacket in action ;)
See the two big triangles in the front? I cut it so that the stripes would lay in the opposite direction to the rest of the jacket...creating a little interest:)  It's hard to tell, but there's also a button and loop attached for a closure.

That red fabric was not going to waste! Just the perfect touch as my new bottom hem.
And here's my, "Oh, look what my 4 year old is doing now" face :) 
Well, give me your feedback...what do you think? Is it improvement on the original? Does it look modern and age appropriate or do you have ideas on how I could have done better? I had seriously considered a crop jacket, but then I don't have the tummy for that type of thing yet :) Hope you enjoy this one!

Peace,
Andrea

LittleDidYouKnow


9 comments:

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

It is a massive improvement. The refashion is cute and the jacket is perfectly fitted. It is quirky and I would so wear it.

Iris said...

Wow, amazing! Love it!!

DuskCloud said...

Super cute!

concretenprimroses said...

Definitely supercute. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Really nice! I love the fabric and you got the fit perfect. Well done.

Cucicucicoo said...

love it! the shape is wonderful, especially in the back where it flares out. and ha! i usually have that same expression in photos of me, too! :) lisa

Andrea said...

Thanks for the feedback, all! Had fun with this one, and it got me motivated to get back on track with refashions :) Love the support you all give, much appreciated!

Zoe said...

That looks wonderful! Great work Andrea x

Ernie's Mum said...

Looks amazing! Inspiring.