Thursday, November 29, 2012

t(ie)-shirt cardigan



how happy was i to receive a vintage tie and button with my copy of confessions of a refashionista: life on the zig zag! i love the necktie shirts in the book, so i put my own twist on them by pairing up my vintage goodies with a too-tight long sleeved t-shirt. behold... the t(ie)-shirt cardigan!


the main differences from the tutorial in the book is that i made an off-center cut down the front of my shirt before sewing the tie on...


...added buttonhole, button and very basic embroidery...


...and to deal with too-short long sleeves and an ugly stain on one sleeve, i shortened the sleeves and used my remaining tie pieces to make those tab things (whatever they're called) on them.


i prefer it buttoned, but you can also wear it open. while i wait for summer to roll around again so i can actually wear it, i'll be using the chopped sleeves to make legwarmers and doing many more projects from this fantastic book! (actually, i think i'll be making another one of these from a sweater so i can use it now!)

for full details, see my post here!

 

7 comments:

Corina said...

This is really cool. Bookmarking it!

Cucicucicoo said...

thanks, geminae! :) lisa

Jenni said...

Such a cute top. And now I have a new book and blog to read, too!

Cucicucicoo said...

so glad you like it, jenni! the book is lots of fun, i really recommend it!

Cucicucicoo said...

thanks, concretenprimroses!

renee said...

This is such a good idea! I will be raiding the hubs ties!!!

Cucicucicoo said...

show me what you come up with, renee! :)