Friday, January 25, 2013

Sleeves to Skirt

For Christmas, I made my sister a blanket out of 6 sweaters I got at the thrift store and ended up with 6 pairs of leftover sleeves.  I really liked the striped one and thought it would make a cute skirt.  So I ripped open all four sleeves along the seam lines and cut off the sleeve caps at the top to straighten them.  All the sleeves have the cuff along the bottom edge of the skirt to have a finished edge.  I had to do a lot of pinning and repinning to get it to fit right in the both the back and the front. You have to allow more fabric in the back, of course.  I used the entire striped sleeve, but the gray one had parts left over at the top. Then, I was lucky that the gray sweater had a turtleneck because that became the waistband. 
I think the other four sleeves will become bags though, because I probably wouldn't wear those particular patterns as skirts.  I have some other sweater refashions up my sleeve first though that I'm excited about . . .

6 comments:

Mikelina said...

Now that is thinking outside the box! I love how that came out.

a Matula ikrek said...

Although I love to use every little piece, I would never have the idea that it's possible to make an adult size skirt from pulover sleeves, weel done girl! :o)

La La Lauren!!! said...

Get out of here! that is fabulous! would have never thought it was sleeves. Oh this inspires me!

LaLaLauren
EOD

FrontierArtiSt said...

Great idea! ^^

Eileen Cox said...

I honestly didn't think I would like the "after," but boy was I wrong! Nice job!

Cucicucicoo said...

fantastic idea! i wouldn't have thought that two sets of sleeves would've been enough fabric for an adult skirt, but they were and it looks really cool! there are so many things one could do with this idea! :) lisa