Friday, January 18, 2013

This is Not an Art Top

This is a piece of canvas that I painted upon:
You may recognize the artist, Banksy's work here...or not.
Banksy's rat is covering up a Damien Hirst dot painting.
This happened in real life.
It's kinda of a joke about an artist painting about an artist painting about an artist painting ... you get it.

Here's the poncho top I created to wear my work of art (ahem):
I cut a circle out of the center to put my head through...

and added bias tape around it and the bottom edge.
The sleeve edges were the selvedges and left as is.
To hold it all together I used buttons & loops on each bottom corner

I used 3 pieces of very thick scrap canvas that I had on hand, but it could just as easily be done with one piece of fabric or whatever you have on hand to make the size you need.  Mine overlapped so much that the four button and loops on each side were plenty to hold it together.  You could use whatever type fastener you had on hand - ties, snaps, frogs, velcro...


Oh, if you're interested in doing something similiar.  I just used acrylic paint.  It would not wash out and the canvas would actually become softer with washing.  Again, you could use fabric paints or markers too on t-shirt fabric, silk, whatever.  Have some fun!

If you'd like to see the Artist in Her Studio Not Wearing a Bansky or a Hirst, check out my blog, Project Minima, here.


2 comments:

La La Lauren!!! said...

oh wow! that is fabulous! great job!

LaLaLauren
EOD

Unknown said...

Love this top