Sunday, 27 January 2013
Tiers before bedtime
I had this dress that felt too bare across the front and I didn't like the metal discs on the straps either
I cut all the discs off and then my idea was to attach some more fabric to the back bodice and bring it round to the front, sew it to the straps and form sleeves. I bought some dark grey net but soon found out that my idea wasn't do-able because it pulled too tight, so I had a rethink.
I cut a length that would cover the back bodice and extend about 8 inches either side. I sewed it to the bodice all round the edge. I did the same to the straps at the front. Then I made another layer by cutting a sleeve shape and sewing it into the armhole but leaving the bottom open so that all the layers hung down like handkerchief edges.
The net doesn't fray so I didn't need to do any hemming.
You can see more photos here